Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Hooked by Nancy: First Book, an award-winning children's literacy organization that provides new books to children in need has announced the results of its What Book Got You Hooked? campaign, revealing that thousands of Americans got hooked on reading by Carolyn Keene's Nancy Drew mysteries. Hmmmm ... I know this wasn't true for me ... nope ... it would have to have been the combined collection of Oz and Tarzan books I discovered at my great-grandmother's house a long, long time back that led to where I am now ... dividing my time between Nevada Barr and Henning Mankell. All my other bad habits can be traced to drinking RC Cola and eating Devil Dogs ... well most of them anyway.

First Book is a nonprofit organization with a single mission ... to give children from low-income families the opportunity to read and own their first new books. Sounds worthwhile. And apparently First Book has provided more than 50 million new books to children in need in thousands of communities nationwide. To learn more about First Book or to donate, please visit http://www.firstbook.org/ .

No comments: